Well maintained, publicised and interpreted heritage sites significantly increased tourism to an area:
- Studies have shown that a high proportion of foreign tourists cite historic significance as an important factor in choosing a destination.
- According to the World Tourism Organisation, cultural tourism accounts for 37 per cent of world travel and this is growing at the rate of 15 per cent a year.
- In Western Australia, the cultural industry sector contributes $983 million a year to the State’s economy.
- Research has shown an increase in demand for quality interpretation of the natural, social and heritage features of places visited.
- Retaining inner city cultural heritage and interpreting it will continue to strengthen Perth’s growing tourism and cultural life.