Aberdeen Hotel & St John’s Building comprises a hotel constructed in 1886, a two storey residence erected in 1892. The buildings were amalgamated with a new facade c1922 and have remained in continuous use as a hotel since 1886. Built in the Victorian Italianate style, the place has traded as the Cosmopolitan Hotel (to 1905), Union Hotel (1905-1939), the Red Lion Hotel (1939-1990) and the Aberdeen Hotel from 1990 to the present, trading under the name The Deen since the late 1990s.
St John’s Building has been utilised for a number of retail and cultural purposes since its construction in 1898 . St John’s Building has been valued for cultural reasons by the Perth Greek community of the 1920s as Father Germanos Illiou operated his Pittakos Greek night school from the premises between 1920 to 1923, and by the Perth Macedonian community of the 1940s when St John’s Building was used as a community clubhouse from 1940 until at least 1949. Aberdeen Hotel was also an important meeting place and entertainment centre for members of Perth’s gay and lesbian community in the 1980s and into the 1990s.
Aberdeen Hotel & St John’s Building were incorporated between 1996 and 1998 to form the current Aberdeen Hotel, compensating for the excised portion at the rear of the Aberdeen Hotel resulting from the construction of the Northbridge Tunnel.