Heritage is about the things from the past which
are valued enough today to save for tomorrow.

The ‘Places Database’ is currently still under construction. We are editing the information and will be seeking to improve the search function over the coming months.

Railway Hotel

Although now only the 1906 façade remains, the Railway Hotel stands on the site of one of the earliest licensed…

Location
138 Barrack Street
Year
1844, 1897, 1906

View Heritage Place

Perth Court of Petty Sessions

The Perth Courts of Petty Sessions – also referred to as just the Police Courts – was opened for business…

Location
Cnr Beaufort and Roe Street
Year
1905

View Heritage Place

Art Gallery and Museum Buildings (WA Museum Complex)

This group of buildings comprising the Jubilee Building, Hackett Hall, the old Gaol, Government Geologist’s Building and the first State Art Gallery represent many layers of…

Location
5 Francis Street
Year
1855 - Old Perth Gaol, 1897 - Jubilee Building, 1903 - Victoria Public Library (dem), Govt Geologist's Building, 1908 Art Gallery (first), 1913 Hackett Hall, 1972 new museum building (dem)

View Heritage Place

Hale School

These buildings were originally built as the School Building (including the Memorial Wing), the Boarding House and a separate Pavilion Classroom for the Perth High School, later renamed…

Location
45 Parliament Place
Year
1914 and 1926

View Heritage Place

Wellington Buildings

The Wellington Buildings are an integral component of a precinct of buildings in Perth from the Federation and Interwar periods reflecting the…

Location
150-160 William Street
Year
1910
Styles

View Heritage Place

Tom Burke House

The building now called Tom Burke House at 153 Newcastle Street was constructed c.1897 as a terrace providing three prestigious dwellings.  Although it is not…

Location
153 (formerly 191-195) Newcastle Street
Year
c1897

View Heritage Place

Chief Secretary’s Office/Public Health Department

Few places of this size can have housed so many civil service departments over its lifetime as a government building.  Built in…

Location
57 Murray Street
Year
1912
Styles

View Heritage Place

Victoria Square Cottages

These four modest red brick and iron matching Victorian Georgian style cottages, located just across the road from the dominant element of St Mary’s Cathedral, are a…

Location
23-29 Victoria Square
Year
1897

View Heritage Place

St John’s Ambulance Building

This attractive Inter-War Art Deco building was constructed in 1940 as the headquarters for the St John Ambulance Association.  It also…

Location
298-300 Wellington Street
Year
1940

View Heritage Place

Royal Perth Hospital: Kirkman House and Moreton Bay Fig Tree

From the time the hospital was established in the 1850s, nursing staff were initially not well-regarded and the poor standard of living…

Location
10-14 Murray Street
Year
1909- Kirkman House, 1926- Extensions

View Heritage Place

Theatre Royal and Metropole Hotel

Both the Hotel Metropole and the Theatre Royal were built by local businessman, Thomas George Anstruther Molloy, one of the largest landowners in Perth and also a successful politician, serving as Member for Perth…

Location
637-645 Hay Street
Year
1893 (Hotel Metropol), 1897 (Theatre Royal)

View Heritage Place

Royal Perth Hospital: Heritage Precinct

The Royal Perth Hospital Heritage Precinct is home to the first purpose built hospital in Western Australia, opened as the…

Location
51 Victoria Square
Year
1855 Old Colonial Hospital (N Block), 1894 – Administration Building (M Block), 1909 – Kirkman House (Nurses Quarters - K Block), Old Kitchen (L Block), 1923 – Outpatients Extension, 1930 – Cancer Clinic (P Block)

View Heritage Place

No. 6 Electricity Sub Station

The No. 6 substation at the corner of Brown and Glyde Streets is an important part of the story of the provision of power…

Location
Cnr Brown and Glyde Street
Year
1924

View Heritage Place

Aberdeen Hotel

The history of the Aberdeen Hotel, one of the oldest hotels in Perth, takes in three different buildings that were…

Location
84 Aberdeen Street
Year
1886, 1892, 1897

View Heritage Place

Swan Barracks

Opening in 1896, the architect had designed the main entrance of the new military administration offices and drill hall as…

Location
2 Francis Street Street
Year
1896
Styles

View Heritage Place

Trinity Uniting Church Group

Trinity Church was designed by Henry Stirling Trigg, the grandson of Henry Trigg who founded the congregation back in 1843.…

Location
St Georges Terrace
Year
1893
Styles

View Heritage Place

Wesley Church

Wesley Church is the third church in Perth built to serve the Methodist community. The first chapel was built in…

Location
William Street Street
Year
1870
Styles

View Heritage Place

West Australian Rowing Club

The West Australian Rowing Club was founded in 1882, and originally had its boat shed at the end of Barrack…

Location
Riverside Drive Drive
Year
1905
Styles

View Heritage Place

Young Australia League

The Young Australia League (YAL) building in Murray Street was erected in 1924 as both a headquarters for the League…

Location
45 Murray Street Street
Year
1922

View Heritage Place

St John’s Lutheran Church

St John’s Lutheran Church was the first building in Perth to be constructed of laterite stone. Erected in 1936, the…

Location
16 Aberdeen Street
Year
1936
Styles

View Heritage Place

St George’s House (Cardigan House, Bishops Grove, Ingle Hall, The Terrace Hotel)

What is now the Terrace Hotel was originally built as five houses to provide a regular income for Perth’s Anglican…

Location
235-237 St Georges Terrace
Year
1892

View Heritage Place

St George’s Hall Facade (St. George’s Theatre (fmr))

St George’s Hall was the first purpose-built theatre in Perth, opening in 1879. Designed for solicitors Septimus Burt and Edward…

Location
500 Hay Street
Year
1879

View Heritage Place

St George’s Cathedral (Port Jackson Fig Tree)

Building a cathedral is no easy matter, so it is no surprise it took from 1877 to 1888 to raise…

Location
cnr St Georges Terrace
Year
1888

View Heritage Place

St Brigid’s Parish Hall (fmr)

St Brigid’s Parish Hall was the original purpose-built school on this site. Designed by architect J. J. Talbot Hobbs, and…

Location
60 John Street
Year
1889

View Heritage Place

St Brigid’s Convent (fmr)

St Brigid’s Convent was built in 1897 to replace a small cottage which had been extended but was now inadequate…

Location
60 John Street
Year
1897

View Heritage Place

St Brigid’s Church

In 1901, St Brigid’s became an independent parish, so a meeting was held to discuss building an appropriate parish church.…

Location
Cnr Fitzgerald & Aberdeen Street
Year
1905
Styles

View Heritage Place

Solidarity Park (The Workers’ Embassy)

Solidarity Park was created as part of a union campaign to protest against the Coalition Government’s changes to Industrial Relations…

Location
Cnr Parliament Pl & Harvest Terrace
Year
1997
Styles

View Heritage Place

Shops, 270-272 William St Northbridge

The single-storey shops at 270-272 William Street were erected around 1896. Both shopfronts are relatively intact and they are the…

Location
270-272 William Street
Year
1896
Styles

View Heritage Place

Shops, 186-192 William St Perth

The shops at 186-192 William Street were constructed in 1934. There is a range of different shopfronts, which vary in…

Location
186-192 William Street
Year
1934
Styles

View Heritage Place

Shops, 278-282 William St Northbridge

The building on the corner of Aberdeen and William Streets was constructed in 1913, and the date ‘1913’ is in…

Location
278-282 William Street
Year
1913
Styles

View Heritage Place