Heritage is about the things from the past which
are valued enough today to save for tomorrow.

The ‘Places Database’ is currently still under construction. We are editing the information and will be seeking to improve the search function over the coming months.

Perth Technical College

Before 1900, apprentices received only on-the-job instruction, and although the Swan River Mechanics Institute had offered courses of lectures from…

Location
137 St Georges Terrace
Year
1910

View Heritage Place

Perth Railway Precinct (Perth Railway Station)

The foundation stone for the first Perth Railway Station was laid on 10 May 1880. It was part of the…

Location
Wellington Street
Year
1881

View Heritage Place

Perth Mint

The discovery of gold in large quantities in the early 1890s not only brought people and money into Western Australia,…

Location
310 Hay Street
Year
1898

View Heritage Place

Perth Government Stores (fmr) (Department of Mines, Murray House)

When the Government Stores opened on Murray Street in 1911 it proved controversial with Fremantle residents. As the name suggests,…

Location
70-74 Murray Street
Year
1911
Styles

View Heritage Place

Perth Girls School (fmr) (Police Traffic Dept, Police Traffic Branch)

When the Girls School at East Perth opened in 1936 it replaced a building on James Street which had become…

Location
2 Wellington Street
Year
1936
Styles

View Heritage Place

Perth General Post Office (Perth GPO)

To say that the General Post Office took a long time to build would be an understatement. The Commonwealth Government…

Location
3 Forrest Place
Year
1923
Styles

View Heritage Place

Perth Concert Hall

Perth Concert Hall opened in 1973, and has long been considered to be superb example of brutalist architecture, with its…

Location
5 St Georges Terrace
Year
1973
Styles

View Heritage Place

Perth Chest Clinic (Hibernian Hall, Cathedral Hall)

When it first opened in 1902, Perth Chest Clinic was known as Hibernian Hall and served the local Irish-Australian community.…

Location
15-17 Murray Street
Year
1902
Styles

View Heritage Place

Park Avenue Building, University of Western Australia (Zoology Building, UWA, Biology and Geology Building)

Completed in 1924, the Park Avenue Building was the first structure for the University of Western Australia on its new…

Location
Cnr Park & Crawley Avs
Year
1925
Styles

View Heritage Place

Palace Hotel (fmr) (Bankwest)

Not only is the Palace Hotel on the site of one of Perth’s oldest taverns, it was also the centre…

Location
108 St Georges Terrace
Year
1897

View Heritage Place

P&O Building (fmr) (Orient Line Building, MAS Building, Malaysian Airlines)

When the Orient Company’s new building was opened in September 1930, Governor William Campion remarked on the “great services” the…

Location
56-58 William Street
Year
1930
Styles

View Heritage Place

Outram Street Terraces (Kent VilOutram Street Terraces (Kent Villa, Heimath, Echuca, Wainera, Janey’s Supper House Cafe, Office, Restaurant)

This row of single-storey houses is a reminder of time when West Perth was one of the most prestigious suburbs…

Location
74-82 Outram Street
Year
1904
Styles

View Heritage Place

Old Swan Brewery Precinct

The former Swan Brewery is not only one of the finest groups of brewery buildings in Australia, it is also…

Location
Mounts Bay Road
Year
1879
Styles

View Heritage Place

Old Observatory

When the foundation stone for Perth Observatory was laid in October 1896, almost every important person in the city was…

Location
4 Havelock Street
Year
1896

View Heritage Place

Nurses Memorial Centre (Kathleen Reidy House)

Although it is now used as commercial offices, 34 Kings Park Road was once a fashionable residence called ‘Fiona’ and…

Location
34 Kings Park Road
Year
1899
Styles

View Heritage Place

Noarlinga Chambers

Noarlinga Chambers was constructed in 1923, and had shops on the ground floor while the first-floor level was originally residential.…

Location
208-212 William Street
Year
1923

View Heritage Place

No.2 Substation, Murray Street (State Electricity Commission Sub Station, Electric Light Substation)

No. 2 Substation is part of the legacy of four such buildings in the early provision of electricity to Perth.…

Location
325 Murray Street
Year
1914

View Heritage Place

Newspaper House

Newspaper House was constructed on St George’s Terrace for the West Australian newspaper in 1932. The architect, Lt-Gen Sir Talbot…

Location
123-125 St Georges Terrace
Year
1932
Styles

View Heritage Place

McNess Royal Arcade

McNess Royal Arcade was built for one of Perth’s greatest philanthropists, Charles McNess. Extremely shrewd with money, He famously claimed…

Location
613-619 Hay Street
Year
1897
Styles

View Heritage Place

Low Level Sewage Pumping Stations No.s 1 & 2, Perth

While not something most people think about much, without a working sewerage system it is impossible to have a healthy…

Location
Causeway & Langley Park
Year
1914

View Heritage Place

Lieut. General Sir J.J. Talbot Hobbs Memorial (Sir Talbot Hobbs Statue)

The memorial is seven metres high, and represents a twice life-size cast bronze bust of Lieutenant-General Sir J. J. Talbot…

Location
Riverside Drive
Year
1940
Styles

View Heritage Place

Harper’s Buildings

When Harper’s Building opened in 1937 it was described as an “ultra-modern building”. Much of the ground floor was occupied…

Location
810-820 Hay Street
Year
1937

View Heritage Place

Government House Ballroom

The first Government House was a tent on Garden Island, which James Stirling and family occupied from June to September…

Location
13 St Georges Terrace
Year
1899

View Heritage Place

Fitzgerald Hotel (fmr) (Clarendon Hotel)

The first hotel on this site was called the Clarendon Hotel, which opened in 1886 and was operated by Frederick…

Location
64 Fitzgerald Street
Year
1925

View Heritage Place

Esplanade Reserve (inc Allan Green Conserv, Alf Curlewis Gardens, & Florence Hummerston Day Care Centre (fmr))

The Esplanade Reserve was a public space between Perth Water and the Central Business District. Developed through reclamation, and formally…

Location
5 The Esplanade
Year
1880
Styles

View Heritage Place

Edith Dircksey Cowan Memorial (Edith Cowan Memorial Clock)

Edith Cowan was the first woman to hold a seat in any Australian parliament, a campaigner for women’s rights, the…

Location
Kings Park Road
Year
1934
Styles

View Heritage Place

East Perth Primary School (fmr) (Jack Davis House – Infant School (fmr))

In 1895, East Perth Primary School opened with just 30 pupils, but a few months later the headmaster was told…

Location
76 Wittenoom Street
Year
1895
Styles

View Heritage Place

Trades Hall

Trades Hall was built as offices for the WA Labor Party, several unions, and as the entrance to Unity Hall.…

Location
74 Beaufort Street
Year
1912

View Heritage Place

Commercial Building, 21 Howard Street

21 Howard Street Perth was built as legal chambers for solicitors Parker and Parker, who were established as early as…

Location
21 Howard Street
Year
1899

View Heritage Place

Lexbourne House (fmr)

Lexbourne House was built for builder and entrepreneur Robert Law in 1911. The construction of the large residence was to…

Location
18 Colin Street
Year
1911

View Heritage Place