Heritage is about the things from the past which
are valued enough today to save for tomorrow.

The ‘Places Database’ is currently still under construction. We are editing the information and will be seeking to improve the search function over the coming months.

No.2 Substation, Murray Street (State Electricity Commission Sub Station, Electric Light Substation)

No. 2 Substation is part of the legacy of four such buildings in the early provision of electricity to Perth.…

Location
325 Murray Street
Year
1914

View Heritage Place

Newspaper House

Newspaper House was constructed on St George’s Terrace for the West Australian newspaper in 1932. The architect, Lt-Gen Sir Talbot…

Location
123-125 St Georges Terrace
Year
1932
Styles

View Heritage Place

McNess Royal Arcade

McNess Royal Arcade was built for one of Perth’s greatest philanthropists, Charles McNess. Extremely shrewd with money, He famously claimed…

Location
613-619 Hay Street
Year
1897
Styles

View Heritage Place

Low Level Sewage Pumping Stations No.s 1 & 2, Perth

While not something most people think about much, without a working sewerage system it is impossible to have a healthy…

Location
Causeway & Langley Park
Year
1914

View Heritage Place

Lieut. General Sir J.J. Talbot Hobbs Memorial (Sir Talbot Hobbs Statue)

The memorial is seven metres high, and represents a twice life-size cast bronze bust of Lieutenant-General Sir J. J. Talbot…

Location
Riverside Drive
Year
1940
Styles

View Heritage Place

Harper’s Buildings

When Harper’s Building opened in 1937 it was described as an “ultra-modern building”. Much of the ground floor was occupied…

Location
810-820 Hay Street
Year
1937

View Heritage Place

Government House Ballroom

The first Government House was a tent on Garden Island, which James Stirling and family occupied from June to September…

Location
13 St Georges Terrace
Year
1899

View Heritage Place

Fitzgerald Hotel (fmr) (Clarendon Hotel)

The first hotel on this site was called the Clarendon Hotel, which opened in 1886 and was operated by Frederick…

Location
64 Fitzgerald Street
Year
1925

View Heritage Place

Esplanade Reserve (inc Allan Green Conserv, Alf Curlewis Gardens, & Florence Hummerston Day Care Centre (fmr))

The Esplanade Reserve was a public space between Perth Water and the Central Business District. Developed through reclamation, and formally…

Location
5 The Esplanade
Year
1880
Styles

View Heritage Place

Edith Dircksey Cowan Memorial (Edith Cowan Memorial Clock)

Edith Cowan was the first woman to hold a seat in any Australian parliament, a campaigner for women’s rights, the…

Location
Kings Park Road
Year
1934
Styles

View Heritage Place

East Perth Primary School (fmr) (Jack Davis House – Infant School (fmr))

In 1895, East Perth Primary School opened with just 30 pupils, but a few months later the headmaster was told…

Location
76 Wittenoom Street
Year
1895
Styles

View Heritage Place

Trades Hall

Trades Hall was built as offices for the WA Labor Party, several unions, and as the entrance to Unity Hall.…

Location
74 Beaufort Street
Year
1912

View Heritage Place

Commercial Building, 21 Howard Street

21 Howard Street Perth was built as legal chambers for solicitors Parker and Parker, who were established as early as…

Location
21 Howard Street
Year
1899

View Heritage Place

Lexbourne House (fmr)

Lexbourne House was built for builder and entrepreneur Robert Law in 1911. The construction of the large residence was to…

Location
18 Colin Street
Year
1911

View Heritage Place

Colonial Hospital

Several hospitals, some very temporary, opened and closed at various locations during the 1830s and 40s, mainly because of the…

Location
51 Victoria Square
Year
1855

View Heritage Place

Central Government Offices

Over their 140-year history, Central Government Offices have been used as Public Offices, a Police Court and cellblock, Treasury, Survey…

Location
28 Barrack Street
Year
1874-1904
Styles

View Heritage Place

Braddocks Dispensary

Braddock’s Dispensary was a combined shop and residence built in 1899 for Charles Braddock, a pharmacist who had moved from…

Location
180 Aberdeen Street
Year
1899
Styles

View Heritage Place

266-268 William St Northbridge

266-268 William Street was designed as commercial premises by architects Oldham & Cox for John Joseph Holmes in 1906. It…

Location
226-268 William Street
Year
1906

View Heritage Place

18 & 20 Howard Street

Around the turn of the 20th century, the prosperity associated with the gold rush led to a significant expansion of…

Location
18, 20 Howard Street
Year
1905

View Heritage Place

1 Museum Street (27 & 29 Museum Street, Two Houses)

Located in the heart of Northbridge, 1 Museum Street is the only surviving historical residential building in the area. Built…

Location
27, 29 Museum Street
Year
1897

View Heritage Place

Cathedral House (fmr Archbishop’s Palace)

The Archbishop’s Palace is a three-storey building constructed in 1855 for the Roman Catholic Bishop of Perth, Joseph Serra. Built…

Location
17 Victoria Square
Year
1855
Styles

View Heritage Place

ANZ Bank

This former bank is distinctive for having been built in an American style, now known as the Interwar Chicagoesque. It…

Location
938-940 Hay Street Street
Year
1928

View Heritage Place

Graham Flats

After World War II, Perth experienced a severe housing shortage as Western Australia experienced high birth rates and attracted migrants.…

Location
1217 Hay Street
Year
1958-1987
Styles

View Heritage Place

Dumas House

Dumas House is a fourteen-storey public office building opened in 1965. Constructed in the Post-War International style, it was built…

Location
2 Havelock Street
Year
1965

View Heritage Place

Criterion Hotel

A licensed public house has operated on the site of the Criterion Hotel since 1848. It has been remodelled several…

Location
560 Hay Street
Year
1937
Styles

View Heritage Place

Cremorne Arcade

By 1896, when she opened Cremorne Theatre, Annie Oliver was already running the adjacent Cremorne Picture Gardens and Cremorne Hotel.…

Location
572-578 Hay Street
Year
1896
Styles

View Heritage Place

Council House

Perth City Council originally met at the convict-built Town Hall (1870) on Barrack Street. It was not long before the…

Location
27-29 St Georges Terrace
Year
1961-1963
Styles

View Heritage Place

Connor Quinlan Building

The Connor Quinlan Building was erected in 1892 for Daniel Connor and Timothy Quinlan, jointly the largest landholders in the…

Location
612-616 Hay Street
Year
1892
Styles

View Heritage Place

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Building

The Commonwealth Bank Building is a six-storey stone clad building built in 1930-1933. It was built for the Commonwealth Government…

Location
242 Murray Street
Year
1930-1933
Styles

View Heritage Place

Commercial Building, 507 Wellington Street

Commercial Building, 507 Wellington Street was constructed by Simon Bremner Alexander for Laura Trigg in 1899 as a two-storey building,…

Location
507 Wellington Street
Year
Styles

View Heritage Place