Commercial Building, 21 Howard Street
21 Howard Street Perth was built as legal chambers for solicitors Parker and Parker, who were established as early as 1881. Designed by architects Hoskings & Tandy in 1899, the two-storey building with basement is in the Federation Anglo-Dutch style.
Stephen Henry Parker (1846-1927) became a member of the Western Australian Legislative Council and served as Colonial Secretary in the John Forrest ministry. He was also chairman of Perth City Council and Mayor in 1892. In 1881, he joined with his brother George to form the well-known law firm Parker and Parker.
Architect Archer Hoskings moved to Western Australia and was initially employed in the Public Works Department under George Temple Poole. After he went into private practice in 1895, among his commissions were the Ascot Inn in Belmont and Matheson’s Terrace (now known as The Mansions) in Claremont. In 1897 he went into partnership with Thomas Tandy, who relocated to Tasmania by 1907.
21 Howard Street has continued to be used as a legal chambers and offices. The building has had little alteration to the external or internal fabric over the years. Howard Street, as a precinct, has remained relatively undeveloped, resulting in a largely untouched gold boom streetscape which is unusual in Perth.